What if Giants spring training were like March Madness?
It’s March Madness time, and everyone is busy filling out NCAA Tournament brackets (well, except MoreSplashHits. We need to get busy on that).
But it did get us thinking. What would Giants spring training look like if we set the players in camp up into a March Madness-styled bracket.
So we based these seedings on the probability of each player in camp this spring making a significant contribution to the success of the Giants in 2012.
And this is what we came up with. Debate at will.
(1) P Tim Lincecum vs. (16) P Danny Otero
(8) P Heath Hembree vs. (9) OF Francisco Peguero
(4) OF Nate Schierholtz vs. (13) OF Tyler Graham
(5) 2B Freddy Sanchez vs. (12) SS Ehire Adrianza
(6) C Eli Whiteside vs. (11) 3B Chris Dominguez
(3) OF Melky Cabrera vs. (14) C Jackson Williams
(7) P Barry Zito vs. (10) 3B Conor Gillaspie
(2) P Ryan Vogelsong vs. (15) IF Joaquin Arias
(1) P Matt Cain vs. (16) P Shane Loux
(8) C Chris Stewart vs. (9) C Hector Sanchez
(4) P Santiago Casilla vs. (13) OF Jarrett Parker
(5) SS Brandon Crawford vs. (12) OF Justin Christian
(6) IF-OF Emmanuel Burriss vs. (11) C Andrew Sugac
(3) 1B Aubrey Huff vs. (14) IF Nick Noonan
(7) P Clay Hensley vs. (10) P Hector Correia
(2) P Sergio Romo vs. (15) OF Juan Perez
(1) P Brian Wilson vs. (16) P Matt Yourkin
(8) OF Gary Brown vs. (9) SS Joe Panik
(4) 1B Brandon Belt vs. (13) OF Roger Kieschnik
(5) P Guillermo Mota vs. (12) P Andrew Kown
(6) IF Ryan Theriot vs. (11) P Brian Burres
(3) P Javier Lopez vs. (14) P Seth Rosin
(7) OF Gregor Blanco vs. (10) C Tommy Joseph
(2) C Buster Posey vs. (15) P Stephen Harold
(1) 3B Pablo Sandoval vs. (16) P Jake Dunning
(8) P Eric Surkamp vs. (9) P Steve Edlefsen
(4) P Jeremy Affeldt vs. (13) P Dan Otero
(5) 1B Brett Pill vs. (12) P Wilmin Rodriguez
(6) IF Mike Fonteno vs. (11) P Ramon Ortiz
(3) OF Angel Pagan vs. (14) P Justin Fitzgerald
(7) P Dan Runzler vs. (10) 2B Charlie Culberson
(2) P Madison Bumgarner vs. (15) P David Quinowski