Friday Farm Report: Roger Kieschnick hottest among hot Grizzlies
The Fresno Grizzlies also will be celebrating their home opener on Friday. But the Grizzlies enjoyed a bit more success than the mother club on the road, going 6-2.
OF Roger Kieschnick, once considered a top-flight hitting prospect but has been slow to develop, is off to a torrid start. He is hitting .500 with three HRs and 6 RBI in 34 at-bats. With three doubles and two triples, his slugging percentage is .971 with a 1.498 OPS.
But the grain of salt is that OF Justin Christian, who didn’t make much of an impression in his September call-up last year, then was released and resigned in the offseason, also is hitting .500 in 26 at-bats with an 1.266 OPS.
Other Grizzlies of note:
- 2B Joaquin Arias, one of the last players cut off the Giants’ roster, is hitting .310 with 2 HRs and 11 RBI. But he’s also committed four errors.
- OF Francisco Peguero, one of the Giants’ top prospects, is one of the few Grizzlies who is struggling to adjust to Triple-A pitching. He’s hitting .172 in 29 at-bats.
- RP Heath Hembree has two saves, four strikeouts, one walk and two hits allowed in three scoreless innings. Four other relievers have not allowed an earned run, pitching between 2 and 41/3 innings: Steve Edlefsen, George Kontos, Shane Loux and Travis Blackley.
- 3B Chris Dominguez is off to hot start at Double-A, hitting .484 with 1 HR and 10 RBi in 31 ABs.
- OF Gary Brown is not quite as toasty. He’s hitting .233 with no extra base-hits in 30 ABs.
- SS Ehire Adrianza has done little to drop his all glove/no hit reputation. He’s hitting .154.
- C Tommy Joseph, who was impressive in the spring, is off to a slow start at Double-A, hitting .125 with 8 strikeouts in 24 ABs.
Class A San Jose
- OF Jarrett Parker is hitting .333 in 30 ABs with a 1.262 OPS. His BABIP is killer however, because 14 of the 20 outs he’s had were by strikeout.
- SS Joe Panik is hitting .276 in 29 ABs. But with his eight walks in eight games, his OBP is .432.
- C Andrew Sucac is another top-flight catching prospect off to a slow start. He’s hitting .174 in 23 ABs with 0 HR and 0 RBI.