Ryan Vogelsong is back as San Francisco Giants’ rotation looks ready for season
Fresh off two solid starts in the World Baseball Classic, Ryan Vogelsong was back on the mound Wednesday for the San Francisco Giants.
And he appeared in midseason form.
Vogelsong threw six shutout innings, giving up just three hits and striking out seven in what would eventually be a 0-0 10-inning tie with the Milwaukee Brewers. Vogelsong threw 60 of his 82 pitches for strikes.
“I try to treat them all the same, honestly,” he said. “I know how important it is to make sure you’re ready to go when the bell rings.”
Vogelsong said he even had chicken enchiladas on Tuesday night, just like he does during the regular season.
Vogelsong’s outing was just the latest in a span of solid outings for Giants’ starting pitchers. Just look at the last time through the rotation this spring.
- March 15 vs. Rangers — Matt Cain 5 IP, 0 ER, 2 H, 0 BB, 2 K
- March 16 vs. Reds — Madison Bumgarner 5 IP, 1 ER, 2 H, 1 BB, 2 K
- March 17 vs. Rockies — Tim Lincecum 4 IP, 2 ER, 3 H, 3 BB, 1 K
- March 19 vs. Padres — Barry Zito 5 IP, 2 ER, 5 H, 1 BB, 7 K
- March 20 vs. Brewers — Vogelsong 6 IP, 0 ER, 3 H, 1 BB, 7 K
And now the rotation appears set through the rest of the spring, with all five starters getting two more spring starts before the opener on April 1.
- Thursday, Cain vs. Rockies
- Friday, Bumgarner vs. Rockies
- Saturday, Lincecum vs. A’s
- Sunday, Zito vs. Angels
- Monday, Vogelsong vs. Cubs
- Tuesday, Cain vs. Padres
- Wednesday, Bumgarner vs. Diamondbacks in Arizona finale
- March 28, Lincecum vs. A’s at AT&T Park
- March 29, Zito vs. A’s at AT&T Park
- March 30, Vogelsong vs. A’s at Oakland
- March 31, idle
- April 1, season opener in Los Angeles
Are you getting fired up yet?