Results tagged ‘ Splash Hits ’
Home runs have been coming fast and furious for the Giants this season, and that means More Splash Hits.
Of course, we like that.
Brandon Crawford belted the 66th Splash Hit at AT&T Park in the Giants’ 10-4 win over the Braves on Wednesday.
It came on the heels of Tyler Colvin hitting the 65th Splash Hit in Monday’s win over the Braves.
It’s the first time two Splash Hits have been hit so close to another since Barry Bonds smacked Splash Hits on consecutive days on April 12 and 13, 2004.
Here are some other fun facts about the Giants and Splash Hits this season:
- With three Splash Hits this season, it’s the first time the Giants have had that many in a season since hitting five in 2011, and it’s only May 15.
- It is only the second time that the Giants have hit three Splash Hits by May 14. The other time was in 2000, the season the park opened, when Barry Bonds hit two Splash Hits in one game on May 10 to give him three for the season.
- It’s the second time two different Giants have hit Splash Hits two days apart since Felipe Crespo and Bonds hit Splash Hits on May 28 and May 30, 2001.
- Colvin became the first Giant to hit a Splash Hit in his home debut with the Giants.
- Colvin became the 18th different player to record a Splash Hit (Splash Hits are defined as home runs into the bay hit by a Giants player).
- Crawford moved into a six-way tie for fourth on the all-time list of Splash Hits with his second.
- If Crawford hits another Splash Hit this season, he will become the second player to record three or more in a second. Bonds did it five times (six in 2000, nine in 2001, six in 2002, six in 2003, four in 2004).
How can More Splash Hits pay homage to the Championship Season of 2010 without recognizing the Splash Hits the Giants had this season.
The Giants added five more Splash Hits, putting the overall count at 55. Those five are the most Splash Hits in a season since the Giants had six in 2004.
So here they are:
The first Splash Hit of 2010 (No. 51 overall) came off the bat of Aubrey Huff, off Colorado’s Rafael Betancourt on May 1. To view it, click here.
Splash Hit No. 2 for 2010 also came off the bat of Huff, off Baltimore’s Jeremy Guthrie on June 16. To view it, click here.
Andres Torres delivered the third Splash Hit of 2010, going deep off Florida’s Jorge Sosa on July 28. To view it, click here.
Pablo Sandoval delivered the fourth Splash Hit of 2010, hitting it off the Cubs’ Randy Wells on Aug. 12. I remember watching this game live with my five-year-old son. When the Panda went deep, my son yelled: “Whoa! He hit it into the water!” Moments later, they showed a replay of the blast, and my son says “Whoa! He did it again!!!” To view, click here.
Sandoval also had the fifth Splash Hit of the season, on Sept. 30 against Arizona’s Barry Enright. To view it, click here.
If you watched all five Splash Hits, you’ll notice a common thread.
All five were hit in day games. Here’s another common thread. All five came in Giants victories.
In fact, the Giants have won their last seven games when someone has put one into the bay.
Let’s hope for more Splash Hits in 2011